API or some other way to hook in game bots

Ideas and Requests
Zoinky
Uniball Admin

API or some other way to hook in game bots

Post by Zoinky » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:00 am

Mentioned in the chat, but I thought it would be good to have a record. I would find it enormously entertaining to get my UB bots working again. In the past, I had bots that would get themselves to the goal. I would also love to have humans vs my bots, so I can watch the humans be decimated. :twisted:

Zoinky
Uniball Admin

Re: API or some other way to hook in game bots

Post by Zoinky » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:33 am

Just to expand on this a little bit: I think a pluggable bot mechanism would be better than a single built-in AI. This would allow bots with different styles (e.g., bots that want to win at all costs, bots who principally want to give the human players the ball, dodgeball bots if that becomes a thing, etc.). Also, the CPU load per bot could also be much higher, and wouldn't bring the server to its knees if there are a lot of them.

It could also conceivably be used by leagues (automatic reporting of games with whatever game stats might be desired like possession, second assists, saves, and could also be used to adjudicate races).

Also, did I mention bot battles?

icup
Uniball Admin

Re: API or some other way to hook in game bots

Post by icup » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:30 pm

I for once, agree with Dr. Canada. Having in-game bots would be without, one of the greatest assets this game could have and it would give new players a chance to play at their level until they're good enough to stand on their own. There are so many uses for this, but easier said than done. I challenge Zoinky's bot to a death match, should the time come.