Server Selection for ranked games has been a very heated topic in its development. Ideally, we would have separate ladders for at the very least European and US servers. This functionality is actually built into the ladder already, but our playerbase is too small in my opinion to make this even remotely viable. I've gone through a bunch of ideas and this is what is currently in use:
- Players who want to change their preferred server to something other than East can use the !home servername command.
- This change has to be approved by a ladder admin. To be honest, this is the only way I can think of to ensure people do not "game" this system by changing their home server all the time. I would love another option -- know that my bot does not have access to your location data like the lobby.
- A tie between East and UK will result in a random chance between East and UK.
- A tie between West and UK will result in a game on East.
- A tie between East and West will result in a random chance between East and West.
Keep in mind, splitting the queues by server means you will need 6 from your home server to start. With a large playerbase, this is obviously the ideal way to go. At current levels, it'll mean no one plays unless you are on east or uk at peak time.
Your thoughts? Please put some reasons to go with your response, or agree with someone else's reasons at least so we can try to come to a consensus and make the league something everyone enjoys.